Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

My Mother's Day was a good one. Mother's Day isn't about that expensive gift (nice though I won't lie) but it's the little gifts that your children make for you or give to you that come from their heart.

I woke up on Mother's Day and enjoyed a wonderful batch of homemade blueberry waffles. These were so delicious and made by the oh so wonderful Phil. Alex was up with us but he didn't get that it was Mother's Day but we still cuddled. Then Logan trotted downstairs and gave me a big hug and said "Happy Mother's Day Mom." Then Logan and Alex brought me their gifts.

Logan brought me a flower he made at school with a poem (his hand in the center of a heart). Of course he told me that he made me a flower on Friday but who knew it would be as beautiful as that. He also made a a beautiful necklace, a lovely card and bought me two beautiful votive candle holders. I wore the necklace to church.

Alex brought me a beautiful handprint and a beautiful pin that holds either fake flowers or real flowers. I wore the pin to church as well.

As I was getting ready to go to volunteer in the church nursery for the day Kayla woke up. She came into the bathroom and wished me Happy Mother's Day and presented me with some wonderful bath items (always a favorite). Then Alex and I got ready and went to work in the nursery.

After church Alex and I waited for Phil, Logan and Kayla to arrive. I thought Alex, Logan and I were going to go grocery shopping for the week together. But to my suprise Logan was staying with Phil and Kayla at church. Off Alex and I go for grocery shopping.

My big gift this year for Mother's Day was repairing a bike that was given to me be a friend which included fixing the brakes and putting on a new cushy seat. After lunch we all went bike riding. I forgot how much I missed riding until then. It was a lot of fun. I got to "race" Alex on his tricyle down some fast hills. Logan and I raced - him on his fast Spiderman bike - and I encouraged him to keep peddling as we went up some steep hills. Kayla and I even got to go around the 2.2 mile track once on our own. She's a lot faster than me and probably would give Phil a run for his money.

Rather then eat out at a fancy restaurant, which would not really be fun for anyone I decided I'd rather have a nice grilled steak. So Phil bought some high end steaks to grill out and marinated using an Outback Steakhouse recipe. Then we were topping the day off with angel foodcake and strawberries.

Dinner was entertaining because as usual the boys were sans clothing. Neither of them was very hungry since it had been such a hot day (86 degrees) and they were antsy. Phil had sent Alex to his room and shortly thereafter followed Logan or so I thought. The two boys ended up in the hallway bathroom and got soap all over the place.

Then the strange thing occured, Alex and I were finishing up reading a Blue's Clues Book and he slid off the couch to put the book back. He then said OW! Right after that a scorpion moved across the floor. At first I thought he pinched himself with the book. But I looked on his leg and there was a sting mark. Now I assumed all scorpions were posionous but that's not true. As any good parent would do I called the doctor's office and spoke to the nurse from Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and was told only those scorpions in the southwest are poisonous and we should just watch him for the next hour.

Alex was fine despite some major issues sleeping. We think he may have been having a night terror. Logan and I got to snuggle and he fell right asleep (riding and playing outside will do that). Kayla was happy as she was able to finish the 5th in the Harry Potter book series.

All in all I think I had a very good Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms reading this post.

No comments: