Friday, January 16, 2009

Fireplaces Need Instructions Or.....

In our house it's usually Phil that starts the fire in the fireplace. It's sort of one of those that's my job type things. Well last night it was cold enough for this transplanted northerner to want a fire in the fireplace (upper teens to low 20s). Since Phil, Kayla and Logan weren't home yet I thought well I can get it started and Phil can add the big logs when he got home.

Alex brings in the fire starter log. I place in the back of the fireplace just like the directions say. I open the damper (or so I thought) and light the log. The log starts to light and gets bigger. So I add a few of the kindling pieces in there just to get it going a little bit. Well....a few minutes later the smoke alarm starts going off. Let's just say it's the loudest noise I've ever heard and is probably the first time we've ever tested it in four years (I know not good).

So I call Phil to ask him which way does the lever need to be to open the damper. It needs to be to the right towards the front of the house he tells me. Well, turns out Phil forgot to shut the damper the night before. Of course I switch it. Meanwhile I can't get the darn smoke alarm to shut off. Phil tells me get the fans on and open the front door. I already had the fan but doesn't having every fan in the house on defeat the purpose of having a fire in the fireplace?

Eventually the smoke alarm went off and we were able to bask in the warmth of the fire. I'd like one right now because my office is cold and it's only 15 degrees outside.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of the joys of a fireplace. :) Our dogs go nuts when the smoke detectors go off - - not like I'm a bad cook or anything. :)